Open Journal Systems (OJS) is an open source solution to managing and publishing scholarly journals online. OJS was developed by Public Knowledge Project, North America, and is continuously enhanced and adapted to new requirements by various institutions and individuals. The software can be used for free.
The number of worldwide installed and actively used OJS journals was over 7000 at the end of 2013 with more than 330,000 published articles.
OJS supports all publishing steps for scientific journals: from submission to review to publication and subsequent indexing.
- OJS is installed locally and locally controlled.
- Editors configure requirements, sections, review process, etc.
- Easy online submission of texts by authors and reviewers
- DoubleBlind and double-blind review and management of all content.
- Meta data management
- High visibility of article content ensured through metadata interfaces
- Reading Tools for content, based on field and editors’ choice.